Location – Oldham
Hours – 37.5 hours
Salary – £22,000 – £24,000 per annum (dependent on experience),
To be a beacon of excellence for youth-led provision in Oldham
To deliver high quality, innovative activities and experiences for young people from Oldham aged 8-19 (25 with a disability); to provide opportunities, raise aspirations and support young people to be the best they can be.
Our Values – The Way We Work
To manage the catering operation at Mahdlo, ensuring it operates efficiently and profitably and offers a range of healthy nutritious menu options. Identify and implement innovative ways of developing the catering offer and increasing revenue for the benefit of the charity as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan menus that are nutritious, healthy, affordable and appropriate for different dietary requirements and ethnic /cultural/ personal tastes.
- Oversee and carry out the preparation and cooking and serving of main meals snacks and beverages in accordance with the agreed menus and ensuring appropriate separation in the preparation of halal and non halal food.
- Ensure menus are displayed and updated daily showing choices.
- Determine quantities to be cooked and size of portions to be served to minimize waste.
- Sourcing and ordering of stock (in line with financial regulations), checking quantity and quality of stock received following up on any deficiencies with suppliers and create stock control procedures and ensure they are adequate and kept up to date.
- Develop Mahdlo’s catering offer, identifying new business opportunities including external catering.
- Arrange staffing rotas for the catering offer.
- Oversee and carry out clearing of tables, washing and cleaning of crockery, utensils, kitchen
equipment work surfaces, floors and dining area to ensure that the necessary hygiene and
health and safety standards are maintained in the kitchen and dining room as appropriate.
- Establish the necessary health and safety and hygiene procedures and ensure compliance
with food hygiene regulations, including ensuring that appropriate clothing is worn at all times
and that a high standard of personal hygiene is maintained by yourself and all others using
or working in the kitchen.
- Ensure all kitchen equipment is regularly checked and any faults/repairs required are
reported to the Facilities Manager.
- Ensure food is stored correctly and at correct temperatures.
- Recording of all high risk food temperatures on delivery and prior to service, if applicable.
- Operating the tills system and cashing up the tills accurately and ensuring the correct
financial administration is carried out in line with financial regulations.
- Establish a cleaning schedule and implement a cleaning schedule ensuring regular cleaning
of all work surfaces, storerooms and ancillary areas.
- Undertake such other additional duties which may result from changing circumstances.
- Manage the tuck shop.
- Disposal of waste appropriately and in line with Mahdlo’s agreed policies.
- Effectively manage other catering staff and volunteers in line with Mahdlo’s HR procedures
ensuring they are welcomed and feel an integral and valued part of the Mahdlo team.
- Obtain feedback about the catering offer and implement identified improvements, linked to
service excellence principles.
- Contribute positively to the promotion of health and wellbeing of children and young people,
in line with Mahdlo’s six key themes.
- Work diligently to meet the requirements of this job description.
- Always seek to continuously improve so that the highest quality standards are achieved
- Participate positively in internal/external meetings and training as required
- Positively participate in one to ones and appraisals
- Ensure that all relevant policies, procedures and working practices are adhered to at all
- Work in accordance with Mahdlo’s culture, values, aims and objectives
- Act as a positive ambassador for Mahdlo at all times
- Positively contribute to Mahdlo’s team working environment, taking ownership of issues and
supporting colleagues where appropriate
- Be flexible and willing to undertake any other duties that may be reasonably be required
- Additional Information:
- Mahdlo is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of
- In accordance with our Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires
an enhanced DBS check.