Salary: National Minimum Wage
Hours: 32 hours per week
Purpose of Trainee Placement
The Traineeship placement in relation to supporting the Environmental Service team in maintaining (including basic horticultural operations) and cleaning areas within the public realm, i.e. parks, sports facilities, streets and highways. To contribute to Oldham Council’s vision of clean, green and safe spaces for all to enjoy.
What will I be doing?
Under the guidance of your line manager, the post holder will:
- To contribute towards maintaining and improving the public areas within Oldham. Some examples of tasks are grass cutting, clearing leaves and litter, digging, planting and pruning, and removal of fly-tipped material and inappropriately dumped waste.
- The trainee will support in a range of tasks in and around sports facilities, e.g. erecting and dismantling of sports and other equipment, setting out and marking sports areas, upkeep of artificial/synthetic pitches and cleaning changing rooms/sports facilities.
- With guidance and training work towards using a range of tools and equipment, including powered hand tools, light plant, ride-on mowers.
- Work towards basic maintenance and support with daily checks on equipment, reporting faults to the relevant person, as appropriate
- To take responsibility for reporting environmental issues and vandalism, e.g. pot holes, damage to outdoor furniture, graffiti, fly tipping/posting.
- To undertake winter duties as instructed, including spreading grit, removing ice and clearing snow to minimise risk of slips and falls for members of the public.
- Must be able to work outside in all conditions
- Be willing to work in any area of the borough and be moved as necessary
- This is a physical job which requires a good level of health and fitness.
- Must have good customer service skills as they will be required to talk to residents, visitors and colleagues.
- All other duties commensurate with the position