Location – Oldham
Hours – 37.5 per week
Salary – £26,520 – £29,580 per annum (dependent on experience)
Mahdlo is looking for a Junior Zone Coordinator to develop and deliver youth work programmes for Junior Zone members of Mahdlo (Oldham Youth Zone) aged 8-12years and to develop and deliver the Holiday Zone provision.
The delivery will mainly take place at Mahdlo with some activity and events off site in the surrounding areas.
To provide direct line management support, coaching, and development for youth support sessional workers and volunteers to ensure young people receive high quality opportunities, activities and support.
To work with the Operations Manager to ensure Mahdlo’s entire provision is striving for excellence and that young people are at the centre of why we do what we do and Mahdlo’s strategic direction reflects this.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To devise, plan, and both directly deliver (lead working a minimum of 3 sessions per week) as well as coordinating a team of staff and volunteers to deliver a high quality programme of Junior Zone activity that is safe, innovative, challenging and directly responds to the diverse needs, concerns and interests of its members.
- Directly support young people to develop their social skills, build their confidence by providing programmes of activities, services and facilities at Mahdlo which will take place every evening, weekend and during school holidays and will occasionally include residential work.
- Ensure that the needs of young people who are disaffected and disadvantaged are targeted in the Youth Zone’s programme through effective programme planning and promote cultural cohesion and inclusion.
- To work closely with the Senior Zone Coordinator and the District Manager to ensure Mahdlo’s offer is well planned, developmental and meets the needs of young people from across the borough.
- To contribute to Mahdlo’s business and strategic planning and ensure Junior offer meet the targets agreed in the annual business/strategic plan; operating in line with Mahdlo’s values and principles.
- To manage and support a team of full-time coordinators, part time, sessional youth workers and volunteers to contribute to the development of activities, understand the sessions planned and effectively carry out their delivery role working with the Training and Volunteer coordinators to support their continuous professional development.
- To ensure that best practice and relevant theories are reflected in a planned, systematic and coordinated approach to youth work delivery across the Junior offer.
- Develop the Holiday Zone provision to be the provision of choice for 8-14yr olds in Oldham and to ensure it offers exciting and developmental activities which represent value for money.
- Ensure the participation of young people and that their ideas contribute fully in the planning, delivery and evaluation of sessions, projects and activities.
- To have responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people at all times and when rota’d to act as Duty Safeguarding Officer.
- To lead work sessions (primarily Junior Zone sessions but when required sessions across the provision) ensuring sessions are safe, purposeful, developmental, well planned and engaging.
- To manage the Junior Zone and Holiday Zone budget and other resources effectively to maximise the benefits to young people.
- To monitor, record and evaluate work and provide reports and information as required in order to ensure a consistently high-quality youth work provision and demonstrate the impact of the Youth Zone.
- Where appropriate, act as Project Manager ensuring the coordination and completion of projects on time, within budget and within scope; completing any reports or other monitoring and evaluation required.
- To work with Mahdlo’s Marketing and Communications Coordinator to ensure the Junior offer is marketed effectively across the borough so existing and new members are informed of what is on and how they can get involved.
- To prioritise the development of effective partnerships, that make a difference to our members lives and the provision we are able to offer through joint working other agencies/services/schools to ensure a holistic approach in service delivery to young people.
- To understand and adhere to Youth Zone policies and procedures and ensure all staff and volunteers responsible for do likewise.
- Any other work requested by your line manager that relates to the role.
- The hours of work are full-time 37.5 per week, contracted and will be worked flexibly in line with
the needs of Mahdlo and its key activities. This will involve working unsocial hours in evenings
and at weekends during Youth Zone sessions or at events, and also working during the day.
- In accordance with our Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an
enhanced DBS check.
- Mahdlo is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the
Click here to download the Full Job Job Description and Person Specification
How to Apply
To apply for this position please send the completed Mahdlo application form (downloadable from link below) and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the job description and person specification, as relevant experience is required.
Closing date: 12 noon, Monday 15th March 2021
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com