Location: Oldham, Greater Manchester
Job Type: Permanent
Benefits: 33 days holiday (including bank holidays), staff training, flexible working
In this Senior IT Support Engineer role you will be deploying and configuring servers, maintaining and
expanding existing infrastructure, and implementing the roll-out of new technologies for a wide variety of
clients. Benefits include 33 days holiday (inc bank holidays), staff training and flexible working
Who should apply?
We are looking for someone who is passionate about delivering high quality tech solutions in a culture of
mediocre IT support. This person should be a pleasure to work with, conscientious, self-motivated and
striving to work their best at every task in hand. They should also have an in-depth knowledge of a variety
of IT systems, demonstrated through a capability to diagnose complex issues and suggest and implement
Since Rocksalt began in 2003, our steadily growing team has worked hard to build a quality business,
providing friendly, expert IT services to numerous clients in Greater Manchester and beyond. Whether
working from home or based in our town centre offices, we pride ourselves on offering clients a personal
service and frequently go the extra mile to meet their IT needs. There is now an opportunity for a
talented, technically-minded individual to join our team, tackling the interesting challenges which IT
support brings. We encourage our staff to take an active role in developing their knowledge and skills and
provide progression and development opportunities. Outside work time our team enjoy computer
games, strategy board games, camping and outdoor pursuits, especially during our annual camping and
- Maintain IT infrastructure for both ourselves and our clients.
- Protect our client’s data and systems from the ever present and increasing risk of cyber-attack.
- Assist less-experienced team members in dealing with issues that they can’t handle themselves.
- Recommend, cost, plan and install new equipment both on site and remotely.
- Provide in-depth analysis of client’s IT infrastructure and recommend improvements.
- Monitor hardware for potential faults, dealing with issues that arise.
- Communicate with, update and support other team members.
- Feedback and liaise with managers and clients, keeping them updated with the progress of
- Thoroughly document all aspects of work undertaken along with guides, instructions and FAQs
for others to follow.
Essential Skills and Experience
The following characteristics are vital for applicants for this job role:
- Significant experience working in the IT sector
- Good organisational and time-management skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel to client sites
- Good written and verbal communication in fluent English
- Intuitive, diligent and proactive work ethic
- Microsoft server products; Microsoft services including 365
- Virtual environments, either Hyper-V or VMware
- Working knowledge of Firewalls e.g., pfSense
- Advanced networking and security
- Working knowledge of server hardware
Desirable Skills and Experience
Technical Skills and Experience:
- Backing up virtual environments (Veeam or other)
- VOIP Systems, including FreePBX/Asterisk
- VLAN, switching, routing, NAT & IPv6 configuration
- Wireless mesh and bridging
- Cloud technologies
- Ability to script
- MS Exchange
- Active Directory configuration
- Differentiating between broadband technologies
- Understanding of SSL Certificates
- Report writing
Do you want to be part of our friendly team of enthusiastic tech minded individuals? Please send your
current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date 14/11/21.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com